Friday, November 9, 2012

Bags, Bags and more Bags.

I spent a good part of last week working on a specific project.  Bags!!!!!! Why? Because I told my friend ages ago that I would make her one -- I am now getting around to it.  So last week I decided to make it happen.....well, based on my friend's nudging.

This was such a challenge because I was not feeling very inspired so I had no clue where to start.  I did know that I wanted to incorporate some leather into the bag.  Woohoo......a starting place but I've never made a bag with leather before so it heightened the challenge.  Problem was:  Anytime I am not inspired oor havea clear plan it usually means that some fabric will be wasted.  So you know what happened next.......I threw away the first cut of fabric.  :(  Leather proved to be a little  difficult to work with so I put off the leather until I could figure it out and was drawn to clutches.

Here are the results:
Bag#1:  I purchased a square piece of fabric recently from one of my favorite craft stores.....Save a Thon.  I had no idea what to do with it and then the idea of a clutch came to me.  I cut the square in half, lined it with a snazzy oriental like fabric and ended up with this number. 

Bag#2:  Well I didnt just purchase one of those squares from Save a Thon.  I purchased a couple so I decided to make another clutch idea.  This one is lined with another square piece.  It is an off white suede piece.  It feels so great on the inside. 


Bag# 3:  So then I got a little happy and made another one.  This time I wanted to do something a little different to the clutch so I made one with a slanted closure.

Bag#4: So about now I decided that maybe I should go back and try out the leather thing again.  Now I was thinking I would use the leather and do something closely associated to vintage.  So, here is what I came up with.  It is made with a light blue leather material and lined with gold studs.  I plan to add a strap to it.


Bag#5:  Yeah, I started to get a little excited now.  But I left the leather alone again because sewing it was not easy and I had broken a needle....No Bueno! Plus those studs had my fingers hurting.  So, I went back to my fabric squares.  This time I had picked up a red one.  I won't even add a description because this is by far my favorite.  It's hot!

I love this!!!!!!!  It is a red clutch with a lace top.  By the way, all of these bags will be for sale on my etsy store or you can email me.

Bag#6 and #7:  I went back to the leather.  Leather was still misbehaving and between these two bags I broke another 4 needles. Ugh!!!!!! I was not happy one bit but it taught me that I have to find another approach for sewing leather. 
So here are the final two bag creations.

First one: Feathered Leather.  Tan leather with black feathers.  *Feathers only on front.  This bag is not one for sale because the leather was so thick I was not able to sew through it easily or as nicely as I would like.  When I come up with a plan to alter this bag a little nicer, I will add it to etsy.  I am not sure the picture actually does this bag justice because in person it is some kinda wonderful.  If you like to have a piece that's a little different this would be the bag for you.  Ooooohhhh Weeeee.......I love it!  Just wish the sewing was a little better. 

The final bag is also another one of my favorite ones.  I added bag handles to this one.  I enjoyed making this bag because I wanted to do something vintage with my leather and this bag reminds me of a bag my mom carried when she was younger.  I think the handles also take me to that era.  I added the studs to make it vintage yet contemporary. 

Well you can see how full and eventful my week was.  I enjoyed delving into this area and doing something I don't do very often.  Now my friend can have her pick of a bag.  Leave me a comment and let me know what you think.  You might know how to sew leather and if so I would really love to hear from you.

DarcyRo.


















No comments:

Post a Comment